Aboriginal child and family health resources
The Northern Child Health Network (NCHN) acknowledges the traditional owners of the land covering our Local Health Districts and would like to remind others that we live and work on Aboriginal land.
One of the Key Performance Indicators for the NCHN is to identify and improve services for Aboriginal people and other disadvantaged groups. We have been involved in enhancement funded projects for some years to try and meet this KPI. We have included links below to assist Health Professionals provide culturally appropriate information for children and their family. If you know of any other resources we should include please contact the NCHN.
Australian Indigenous Health InfoNet is a great site to visit for lots of resources. Some other useful links are:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child and Family Resources Portal - Knowledge Circle
- Aboriginal Health Unit - Hunter New England Health
- Breastfeeding: Good for baby, good for Mum (pdf 396K)
- Care for Kid's ears
- Early Words - prepare your bub from birth for reading and writing
- Give smokes the flick
- Growing strong: feeding you and your baby (pdf 471K)
- Knowledge Circle - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child and Family Resources Portal
- Looking after your child in hospital (wmv 123M)
- Miromaa Aboriginal Language and Technology Centre
- Parenting for Aboriginal parents and carers
- Safe sleeping for our babies - AMIHS (pdf 271K)
- "Speak up Your identity counts" posters
- Start Stronger, Live Longer Resource Manual Guide for Aboriginal Health Workers
- Strong smiles (wmv 140M)
- Training Support Unit for Aboriginal Mothers, Babies and Children
- Watching your child grow (pdf 2.4M)
- Why Smoke? (wmv 167M)
- Whooping cough brochure (pdf 681K)
Below are links to culturally appropriate resources which have been developed within the Northern NSW (NNSW) Local Health District (LHD) to address issues raised by Aboriginal children and their families when negotiating their way through the Public Health system. NNSW LHD have kindly agreed to make these resources available for use across NSW. It may be necessary for small changes to be made to adapt the resources to your local area. Please contact the NCHN if you wish to obtain the high quality artwork in order to have any of these resources printed or get in touch with the graphic artist to arrange for localisation.
- Looking after your child in hospital - Take Care acrostic (wmv 123M)
- DVD narrated by Preston Campbell - contact NCHN for copies
- Triage - Who goes first in emergency?
- Who you might see when you come to ED - visual of what uniforms staff wear